Saturday, February 27, 2010

a big splash



Oh I know, I know... weeks go by - but I am not off the trail - derailed maybe, but still working on the goal.  It gets very, very frustrating to work and work like a dog and see little or no results.  I mean, man - I'm getting up at the crack of dawn and hauling it into the Y for cycle classes 2 to 3 times a week; packing my lunch of Smart Ones and salads doused in balsamic vinaigrette and still the scale stares back at me and smirks.  Okay, I know what they say... go by how your clothes feel or how much better you feel - but I have to tell you, when you have over one hundred pounds to lose, the sucking wind phase seems endless - so not feeling the love, yet.  

This morning I got a chance to hang out with the Kelly-Ellises or is it the Kelly-Ellis' or the... okay, Natalie and Marshall - swimming at the Mooresville YMCA.  Alright, if you want to be all technical - they swam.  As for me, I just flailed.  But man, I flail with a style that is uniquely my own!  To my defense, I've never had any swim lessons, unless you count my dad holding a hand under my flatter eight year-old belly with the instructions of  "kick your legs, kick your legs - you're not going to drown' as swim lessons, then I have had formal training. 

But who can really swim or flail when you are so distracted by the surroundings.  First of all, can I just say if it weren't a good 35 minutes away from my home, I would have to up and switch YMCA's.  The Lowes' YMCA in Mooresville makes the Statesville branch look like a crack house.  Why do the folks living on or near the lake get the big fancy YMCA - don't they all have home gyms anyway? And personal trainers? The lap pool is pretty neat, but the children's pool area complete with water slide... well that's just showing off!  All jealousy and bitterness aside [Bitter Hotline; Kathy speaking, "Yes I'm calling to complain about my local Y"], I felt good with the tips from Natalie to help me focus on some specific things when I go for pool workouts.  Just the work on kicking with the fins on was unbelievable for my legs. I can't wait to join in one of the workouts with Terri for some pointers on a back stroke that I can hopefully use to get this swim part done.  133 days will be here before you know it.  And by then, I'm hoping to make a big splash!

No comments:

Post a Comment